Thursday, December 31, 2015

Pregnancy Update: 35 Weeks

Sorry I haven't been checking in here as often!  I got a little overwhelmed in the week leading up to Christmas between trying to get all of our shopping and wrapping done, prepping for baby (I had set Christmas as the deadline I wanted to have everything ready for her at the house and our hospital bag packed), and getting the house ready to have family come for Christmas (and prepared for them to come stay at a moment's notice when baby arrives).  Blogging was the one task I could take off the list, so I had to put it on the back burner for a bit.  The Mister's parents stayed over the weekend, and since then I've been a little worn out from all of our Christmas celebrations, plus Chris is still on Christmas leave so I've been hanging out with him as much as possible.  But I finally found the time and energy to sit down and do a pregnancy update tonight - so here I am!




I haven't taken a side photo this week, but these are some photos of the Mister, my sister, and me joking around in front of the tree a week ago on Christmas Eve.

Baby's size: She's the size of a canary melon (according to What to Expect), a coconut (according to The Bump), or a mini-lop rabbit (according to the "weird-but-cute-animals" theme on OviaPregnancy).  She should be weighing in between 4 and 5.8 pounds and measuring somewhere around 17-22 inches (that's a pretty wide range!).

(image from wikihow.com)

Weight gained:  I think I've gained about 38 pounds at this point. To be honest, I haven't been weighing myself as consistently as I was because I've gained more than I wanted to (I was hoping to not max out above 35 pounds), and I don't really want to know. : )  I only care about being healthy at this point and my practitioner hasn't said anything about my weight, so I guess everything is fine.  It didn't help that on top of the holiday decadence this past week that the weather has been terribly rainy, so that means very little walking to burn off those Christmas calories.

Working out: Unfortunately. almost no exercise has happened this week.  I went on a couple short walks, but the weather has not been cooperative.  It's supposed to be chilly this next week but finally sunny, so hopefully the dogs and I can get outside and get a move on.

New Symptoms:  Pretty much if it's a pregnancy symptom I'm experiencing it now (just kidding... kind of).  Don't get me wrong, I'm beyond thankful that our baby girl has made it to almost full term, and I'm happy to be a bit uncomfortable for her sake.  But this pregnancy has taken an abrupt turn from fairly easy to not so much.  It could definitely be worse, though!

My ribs are where I'm experiencing the most pain and discomfort right now.  It's not as much that she kicks me there, as she's just stretching out into my chest and making everything tight and crampy.  On that note, when I get hungry now I feel it in my chest, which is pretty bizarre.  I guess that's where my stomach is these days!

Beyond that, my main issue is that almost everything has become difficult.  I can't bend from my middle much anymore, so standing up, putting on my shoes, getting in and out of the car, etc., are all challenges.  Chris laughs because by the time I've showered, gotten ready, and loaded myself into the car, I need a nap!  I spend a good part of my day winded and exhausted.  : )  Luckily, I have a husband who isn't above helping me tie my shoes.

As my belly has started to poke out more and more, my balance has really been suffering.  The dogs have been almost taking me out when they brush up against my legs in a hurry, and I get a little unstable in the shower.  I've also started experiencing the infamous pregnancy leg cramps.  These are not your everyday calf cramp!  They jump between my calf, shin, and glute, and they are CRAZY.

Like I said, I don't mean to complain.  The longer the baby is in there the better. and it's nothing I can't handle.  But it's pretty astonishing how much has changed in the past few weeks!

Food aversions: None that I can think of!  I don't love savory food with a lot of flavor right now just because I burp up the taste of whatever I eat for hours after each meal (yuck!).

Food cravings: I was craving a Greek chicken skewer these past couple days, and I finally had one tonight.  Other than that, I'm not having a ton of cravings right now.  I've all but given up ice cream since I've put on so much weight, so I am missing that a little!

How I'm sleeping: My airways are pretty constricted, and I'm just generally uncomfortable, so I sleep very lightly and wake up every couple hours.  I'm so glad that I'm done working and don't have to wake up early in the morning!  I can make up for my lack of sleep by staying in bed until I feel rested and ready to face the day.

Feeling baby move: We had an appointment with my practitioner yesterday, and we found out that baby is positioned head down!  The part of her that is pushing into my ribs on the upper right is her butt (we got to see her chubby cheeks and precious leg rolls on the ultrasound!). All the rest of her "knobby parts" (knees, feet, elbows, hands) are on my left side.  She doesn't "kick" much anymore - instead, she stretches out and puts pressure on my insides.  She's also been getting the hiccups a TON lately.

We're in the midst of a very low-key New Year's Eve celebration at my parents' house with my mom, my brother, and his girlfriend.  I bought myself some sparkling grape juice to enjoy at midnight (if I make it till then!).

I can't believe in just a few minutes we'll be in 2016 - the year of the baby!  And our moves to Oklahoma and wherever our next post will be six months after that!  It's going to be a fun year of VERY new experiences and adventures.

I hope you have a safe night of celebrating the arrival of 2016 and that your next year is full of joy and blessings!  Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment