Sunday, December 6, 2015

Pregnancy Update: 31 Weeks

 
I'm not sure why the Mister never tells me my cardigans are stuck in my pants when he's taking these photos.  : ) So, I took a selfie too with the cardigan out of the way to hopefully give you a better view of my belly.  But I couldn't resist using the photo on the right even though my clothes are all jacked up because Luellen is so darn cute in it.

This weekend was a good one, but it was busy!  I went to Burlington Friday to see one of my best friends' new baby while they were in town, then drove back to our house yesterday morning.  Last night, we met my family for dinner in Pittsboro to celebrate my mama's birthday.  And today was full of Christmas decorating and trying to get the house tidied through a sleepy pregnancy fog.  Now here I am in bed with the Mister snoozing beside me attempting to get this 31 week update done before tomorrow arrives and I'm officially 32 weeks along!  I should add I'm typing this on Chris's ancient Mac (my computer is having issues) that immediately shuts down if the charger becomes just a little loose, so I'm trying not to wiggle too much as I type.  Here's hoping Santa brings me a new computer!  (But there are so many other things we need before baby arrives and we move that a computer really isn't high on my Christmas list right now.)

Baby's size: She's as big as a coconut (according to What to Expect), a pineapple (according to The Bump), or a small-clawed otter - not including the tail (according to the "weird-but-cute animals" theme on OviaPregnancy).  Does that conjure up images of an otter drinking a pina colada for anyone else?  She should be weighing between 3-4 pounds (same as last week, guess they don't change these guidelines much week-to-week at this point since every baby grows at a slightly different rate in the last couple months) and measuring in at 15-18 inches long.

animal banner image
Otters are so freaking adorable!
image from australiazoo.com.au

What I'm wearing: Nothing new to share here!  I'm still in my trusty Liz Lange maternity jeans and a variety of sweaters and maternity t-shirts.  Even my comfy pants are starting to get a little tight now, so I may have to buy a couple pairs of XL jammy pants to wear to bed and lounge around the house.  I have no shame in wearing Chris's t-shirts to exercise and sleep in now because mine are just a little too snug.

Weight gained:  My weight fluctuated a good bit this week - one day earlier in the week I'd even lost a pound or two since the week before, which wasn't a huge surprise because I was really struggling with acid reflux and was feeling full quickly when eating.  Now I've gained that little bit I lost back and my total weight gain is around 31 pounds.  For the first time this week, I had a stranger ask me when the baby was due, which doesn't sound like a big deal, but was exciting for me because I've worried that I just look chubby and not pregnant because of the way I'm carrying and because I hardly ever wear form fitting clothes.  I know I shouldn't really be concerned about that, pregnancy looks different on every woman and is a beautiful process, but I'd be lying if I said it didn't make me feel a little better. : )

Working out: This week was mostly just walking again other than the one day I made it to the gym to do some weightlifting.  The longest distance I walked was about three miles.  The day I could have gotten a good, lengthy walk in I had a malfunction with my earphones and had to turn around early because I couldn't bear the boredom of walking in silence.  It's supposed to be cool tomorrow morning so I'm hoping I can go further now that I have my Christmas music back in action!

New Symptoms:  As of last week, I thought I was just going to have to accept that I'd be miserable with acid reflux for the rest of my pregnancy.  But when I mentioned at my appointment this week that the Zantac was no longer helping, my practitioner prescribed Prilosec instead, and it has made a WORLD of difference.  Not only is my reflux gone (knock on wood), but I can eat more than a couple bites without feeling like I'm going to explode AND I'm not getting nauseated when I go too long in between snacks (but I'm still trying to stay on top of eating healthy snacks frequently to keep the baby nourished).  I am so relieved that the reflux was something that could be helped!

In the past 48 hours, I think my hormones have been raging!  My face is broken out for the first time in a while, I woke up at 3:45 this morning for no particular reason and couldn't get back to sleep until after 5, I'm overly sensitive about everything, I keep getting frustrated over the littlest things, I'm beating myself up and feeling like our house will never be ready for Christmas or the baby's arrival, the list goes on.  So far during the pregnancy, I've been able to avoid most of the crazy emotions, but today it was like they all arrived at once and I was very overwhelmed.  On top of that, I felt sleepy all day and unmotivated.  I tried taking a nap around lunchtime but that made me feel more yucky.  I'm thinking this is temporary while my body adjusts to some new surge of hormones and I'll be back to my semi-normal self tomorrow.  I'm already feeling much better tonight than I was during the day today.  I don't like being a negative Nancy!  Especially not at Christmas time when I'm usually obnoxiously happy.  I'm trying to remember that being emotional and a little irrational is just a normal part of pregnancy and that I've been lucky to mostly avoid it up until now.

Days until my next appointment: We have a while!  Our next appointment is on December 30th and I'll be 35 weeks by then.  I was wondering if my practitioner was going to want to start scheduling our appointments closer together this month, but she's okay with waiting another 4 weeks for now.  She said after that I'll be in the office "all the time," so I'm okay with putting off the frequent visits a little longer.  Of course, if I was ever worried I was experiencing any signs of preterm labor I could go to the labor and delivery unit at the hospital, so I feel safe waiting until the end of the month for another regular appointment if everything stays normal.

Food aversions: Nothing that I can think of right now

Food cravings: Still ice cream - Edy's has a "half the fat" flavor called "French Silk" that I want all the time, but I try to resist indulging daily.  I bought some root beer today because that was sounding really good, and I'm craving sweet tea again after being turned off it for a while after I threw it up once a few months ago.

How I'm sleeping: Other than the frustrating night I had last night, I'm sleeping pretty well.  I'm having some CRAZY dreams lately, probably a combination of hormones and anxiety.

What I'm looking forward to in the near future: I used this one last week, but I'm totally going to say it again - our baby shower is on Saturday!  I can't wait to see all of our friends and family and celebrate our little one.

Feeling baby move: I still don't feel her moving "constantly" like a lot of women say they do at this point, but I do feel her going crazy in there when I'm in bed and when I sit down for a few minutes.  She's definitely getting stronger and bigger!  She's started stretching my belly out horizontally when she straightens her arms and legs and it makes me laugh ever time.  I can feel a body part pushing out low on my left side, not sure what it is though!  It's so funny to feel lopsided.

After seeing two of my friends' newborn babies over the past couple weeks, I'm starting to make the mental connection that I have one of those inside me and she's going to be here in no time!  Our car seat was delivered to the house yesterday and that also made things feel very real.  I'm hoping to do another "big purchases for baby" post this week to fill you in on the essentials we've bought so far.  We still need to invest in a few things that aren't on our registry, like cloth diapers and a gate to keep the dogs in the back trunk area of the car instead of crawling on the baby in the back seat.  Then after the shower we'll have to go through the registry to see what items we need that weren't gifted.  Much to do, but in my opinion there is no shopping that is more fun than baby shopping!  We have a very exciting two months (well actually we're down to just 57 days!) ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment