Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Pregnancy Update: 37 Weeks

Hi, friends!  Sorry I skipped last week's update!  We don't have internet at the house right now.  We have satellite internet because we live kind of out in the middle of nowhere and the service is pretty shoddy.  A few months ago, when we were having trouble with it, we had a part replaced on our actual dish.  I spent a while on the phone with customer support last night and this time it looks like something's broken inside our modem.  A technician is coming on Friday to take a look at it, but the worst part is that we have to pay for the parts and such out of pocket if he does find a problem.  Doesn't seem to make much sense when we're already paying for internet that doesn't work. : ( Sooo I'm at the Panera in Fayetteville typing this because I had to come into town anyway for my 37 week appointment at Fort Bragg.  Since my computer is having serious issues (we're hoping to be able to afford a shiny new computer as my "push present"), I'm on Chris's ancient Mac, which still works well but completely turns off if the charger is jostled at all - hopefully I remember to click "save" often!  So, this post may be a little more abbreviated and hurried than usual because I already have to pee and I don't want to leave all of my belongings sitting out in the open!

 
Please pardon the awkward selfies!  I decided I was going to have time to blog today at the last minute and took them really quickly before I left the house.  I'm seriously digging this sweater - my mom and sister found it for me at Old Navy for Christmas (it's just an XL, not maternity).  They had intended for me to wear it more for nursing since it's so easy to pull up or down, but I'm really liking it pregnant, too.  It's hard to find clothes I'm comfy but not self conscious in these days.  The jeans are a new pair of Liz Lange maternity jeans I finally caved and bought after my sister made fun of me for wearing the same lighter washed pair every day. : )  We're going to a military ball tomorrow night, so I promise we'll take a photo all dressed up that's not a selfie. 

Baby's size: She's the size of a winter melon, whatever that is, (according to What to Expect and The Bump) or a striped skunk (according to the "weird-but-cute-animals" theme on OviaPregnancy). She's probably weighing between 6 and 9 pounds (whoa!) and measuring in around 19-22 inches.
Very cute!  But I wouldn't want to pet them.  : )
(image from wikipedia.org)

Weight gained:  I've gained about 40 pounds - 15 pounds more than my original goal of 25 pounds and 5 more than what I wanted to cap out at, 35 pounds.  Oh well!  Like I've said the whole time, I don't feel like I'm making particularly unhealthy choices, I've almost completely lost my appetite this week and have to remind myself to eat, I'm still able to exercise (well kind of, more on that later), and my practitioner hasn't mentioned my weight at all, so I'm not too terribly concerned.  I'm really looking forward to getting the go ahead to get back into the gym after my six week postnatal appointment, but I don't see any point in beating myself up about my weight gain right now.  As long as our baby is healthy and we have a safe delivery, that's all I care about!

Working out: Until today, I've kept up with walking at least a couple miles, sometimes three or four, every day.  However, starting yesterday afternoon and continuing today, I'm having really, really terrible sciatica pain.  I can hardly put any weight on my right hip.  While this is frustrating for a few reasons, mainly that I'm not particularly comfortable sitting still and feel a lot better when I can get up and move around, I'm especially disappointed that this could mean having to cut back on my walking, something I've been really thankful I've been able to continue up until this point.  Hopefully this will be short-lived and baby will reposition and take the pressure off whatever nerve she's bothering soon!  I also did about twenty minutes of prenatal yoga two days this week.

New Symptoms:  Like I said above, really painful sciatica... I've had sciatica pretty much throughout the pregnancy, but this is a whole new level!  It's going to be so strange after I deliver to have hips that feel normal. : )

GOOD HAIR... I'd thought this good pregnancy "symptom" was going to be one I wouldn't have the pleasure of experiencing, but about a month ago my hair totally stopped falling out in the shower and when I brushed it and such (which is a big deal because usually I shed more than my dogs) and now it is SO thick.  There's so much hair on my head right now it doesn't even want to part well!  I'm sure this means that I'm going to bald like crazy after baby is born, but I'll enjoy my luxurious locks until then!

This isn't a symptom I'm experiencing exactly, but my dogs are acting SO weird.  Luellen follows me around everywhere (even more than usual, like even to the bathroom) and just stares at me constantly.  Last night, Hank stood beside the bed and cried after I turned the lights off until I got him to settle beside me and snuggled him, and then he proceeded to sit up and stare at me strangely, too!  I googled to see if dogs can tell when you're about to go into labor.  Apparently they can!  Obviously, nothing happened last night.  My hormones must smell funny or something, though!

As I mentioned last time, I'm just becoming more and more uncomfortable.  Little things like getting dressed, putting my shoes on, doing laundry, etc., have gotten difficult and wear me out quickly.  But I'm so thankful that baby has made it to "full term,"  and I'll deal with the discomfort and fatigue if she needs to keep cooking!

Food aversions: Nothing I can think of!

Food cravings: I'm not really craving anything.  I don't have much of an appetite most of the time and it's often a struggle to think of something that sounds good.  I've been eating a lot of salads, not really because I'm craving them but because I want to make healthy choices when I can.  A few of our family members bought us gift cards for nicer restaurants for Christmas, so we've really enjoyed going out on "dates" before our family of two becomes a family of three and eating big, yummy meals without having to worry about the check. : )

How I'm sleeping: To be honest, I kind of dread going to bed at night because I know sleep is going to be a struggle.  I'm still waking up every hour or two.  I've found that it helps a little to read for a little bit before I try to go to sleep on the nights the Mister doesn't mind me leaving the lamp on.  I'm very lucky that I don't have anywhere to be in the mornings and can sleep in if I need to make up for a rough night.

Feeling baby move: During the days, it's hard to feel her move because she's gone more from sharp kicks to just stretching and pushing as her home inside my tummy gets tighter and tighter.  But at night when I settle down she goes CRAZY.  Last night I swear she was trying to do jumping jacks.  It's both really cool and really strange at the same time.  I'm definitely feeling more like I have a little human in there!

I can't help but wonder how many more of these updates I'll be writing!  It's hard to believe baby could "technically" arrive any day.  My practitioner emphasized today that the majority of first time moms go to at least 40 weeks.  I know of several people who have delivered at 37-39, though, so it's hard not to wonder!  Of course, I want her to stay in there as long as her little lungs need to be completely ready!  However, it's hard not to wish for it to be sooner when I think about how close we are to seeing and holding her!  I feel like I've been "hogging" her for 8 1/2 months.  I'm ready for the Mister and our families to get to hold her and feel like she is "theirs," too.  : )

I'm hoping our internet will be fixed on Friday and I'll be able to post again over the weekend!  Talk to you again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment