Sunday, November 22, 2015

Pregnancy Update: 29 Weeks


Baby's size: She's as big as a small cabbage (according to What to Expect), an acorn squash (according to The Bump), or a New England cottontail rabbit (according to the "weird-but-cute animals" theme on OviaPregnancy).  Her weight should be somewhere around 2.5-4 pounds, and her length is supposed to be 15-17 inches.

I couldn't find a picture of a New England cottontail that was very representative of its size.  But it sure is cute!
(image from nhpr.org)

What I'm wearing: Thank goodness a substantial cold front has arrived!  My uniform is currently sweaters, scarves, ponchos, and jeans. The dresses I ordered from Asos for the holidays and our baby shower haven't arrived yet, but I'm looking forward to seeing how they fit.  Earlier week, I bought this coat from Old Navy (pictured above), and I'm IN LOVE with it.  It ties in the front instead of buttoning, so I don't have to worry about it getting too tight as my belly continues to grow.

Weight gained:  Once again, we've been at my parents' house this weekend because we came into town to watch the Burlington Christmas parade, so I haven't weighed myself since Friday morning. My weight gain was at 29 pounds then. As it has been for a while, it's a little higher than I'd like it to be, but it could be worse.  If I keep going at this rate, I should gain right at or a little over the 35 pound maximum most doctors and pregnancy reference materials suggest, so I'm okay with things as they are.

Working out: Just like last week, I don't have anything new or exciting to share here.  I'm still walking most mornings and doing a barre or prenatal yoga DVD a few times a week.  Thanks to the cooler weather, the dogs and I have been able to walk longer routes, so I'm happy about that!  I want to keep exercising as long as I can into the pregnancy (hopefully up until the very last day!).  The mornings after I walk 3-5 miles, I have a little muscle soreness in my hips and upper thighs that didn't used to be there, but I don't think it's anything that puts the baby or me in danger.  I do think it's important that I keep challenging myself while I still can to help with my strength in labor and delivery and my recovery afterward.

New Symptoms:  No new symptoms this week other than some uncomfortable back pain and tension that I think is to be expected at this point since my belly is growing bigger and bigger!

I have, however, had a resurgence of old symptoms that had taken a backseat before this week.  My sensitivity to smell, nausea, and fatigue are all making me feel like I'm back in the first trimester! It's funny, last week I thought I was going to be an insomniac until I had this baby - now I'm sleeping like I've been drugged every night.  And during the days I can hardly keep my eyes open, which makes it hard to get motivated to do much of anything around the house.  I have little spurts of energy followed by the overwhelming need to nap.  This growing a baby is hard work!

Days until my next appointment: Nine days!  I didn't hear anything back from my practitioner this week about my blood glucose or iron deficiency tests, so I guess I'm in the clear on those. That's good news for me and baby - and two less things to worry about!

Food aversions: Nothing sounds too terribly gross this week... I've been able to overcome my aversion to plain water a bit by adding a few drops of lemon and orange essential oils to my glass.  They said in our childbirth and infant care class that I'm going to have to drink a TON of water while I'm breastfeeding, so I've got to get used to it whether I like it or not!

Food cravings: Ice cream, ice cream, ice cream!  Also breakfast sandwiches!

The Mister sent this text to my family last night... I don't like giving him bites of my ice cream! Please pardon the sheets on my parents' new sectional - they're trying to protect it from my dogs. : ) But it's beautiful underneath!

How I'm sleeping: Like a rock! I get sleepy around 9 pm, and I think I could sleep until noon every day if my dogs would let me and I wouldn't feel terribly guilty for being unproductive.  I hope I can keep resting and that the insomnia doesn't return (although I'm sure it will once my due date looms closer and I'm feeling more anxious).

What I'm looking forward to in the near future: TWO of my best friends had their babies this week - and one of them had TWINS!  Three new babies to love!  Chris and I are going down to Augusta this weekend after Thanksgiving festivities to see the twins.  I can't wait!!!

Feeling baby move: I'm still making myself nervous about how often I feel her move, but in the mornings and at night when I'm in bed and paying close attention, I always feel her kick at least ten times in a minute or so.  And I think I felt her hiccuping the first time this morning!  I guess I just can't feel her as much when I'm upright and distracted by other things throughout the day.

It's hard to believe I'll be 30 weeks tomorrow!  And that Thanksgiving is in just a few days!  I'm especially thankful for Chris having a couple days off of work for us to visit family and friends at the end of the week.

I'm having some technical difficulties right now with my computer, but I'm hoping I'll be able to keep posting this week from an old Mac we have at the house.  Technology is so frustrating sometimes!  Talk to you again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment